16th – 18th April 2018
North Carolina, USA
The “Nexus” approach is the one that focuses on overlaps across sectors while respecting sectoral expertise in order to make better plans by understanding interactions.(Stockholm Environment Institute, 2017) The Water Institute at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill will reconvene its Nexus conference addressing Water-Energy-Food and Climate in spring of 2018. This will be the second Nexus Conference that The Water Institute has organized.
The conference will facilitate space for the development of collaborative work and focus on the:
- Science-policy interface;
- review of Sustainable Development Goal commitments (2018 and for the Heads of State review in 2019);
- sharing of tools, indicators and methodologies; and
- the identification of gaps.
It will build on recognizing and respecting the work that sector experts are engaged with while also addressing some key challenges that will require a Nexus approach these include:
- Agriculture will have to produce 30-50% more food by 2030
- Primary energy needs will increase by 40% by 2030
- Demand for water will exceed global availability by 40 % in 2030
- Surge of 200 million climate change refugees will reverse global healthcare progress by 2050