‘Farming First’ will be hosting a side event at the UN Headquarters on 5 May 2009, 1.15pm to 2.45pm.
The chairperson of the event will be Leonard Mizzi, Head of Unit of the Agriculture Directorate General of the European Commission. Other speakers at the event include:
- Dr Lindiwe Majele Sibanda, CEO, FANRPAN
- Dr. James Hansen, International Research Institute for Climate and Society
- Serge Benstrong, President, Farmers’ Association of Seychelles
- Sarala Gopalan, Women’s Representative, National Institute of Agriculture of India
- Julie Howard, Executive Director, Partnership to Cut Hunger and Poverty in Africa
- Antonio Galindez, Vice President Crop Platform, Dow AgroSciences
- Thomas Rosswall, Chair, CGIAR-ESSP Climate Change Agriculture and Food Security Challenge Programme
The event occurs at the start of the UN Commission for Sustainable Development final session, where UN policymakers will be finalising policy directions on the topics of: rural development, agriculture, land, drought, desertification, and Africa.
The event also includes a Q&A and a roundtable discussion with experts from various fields.
All UN delegates and UN-accredited journalists are invited to attend.
Download the invitation here: